Friday, January 15, 2010

They Grow Up So Fast...

My oldest daughter is really into asserting her independence these days. It's so wonderful. Basically this consists of telling me I'm wrong about pretty much everything. Additionally, I get the big bonus of her deliberately disobeying because she doesn't like the rules. Case in point:

The other day, T woke up, and dressed herself in a way too-short skirt. I told her,

6:45 a.m.
"Honey, you aren't wearing that to school today. Go put on some pants."
7:00 a.m.
"T, it's wintertime. That skirt is too short. You aren't wearing it to school. Go change."
7:15 a.m.
"T! Pants!"
7:30 a.m.
"No, it's not okay if you wear it with leggings. Your leggings are too short. No, it's not okay if you wear it with tights. The tights don't make the skirt any longer. Go change."
7:45 a.m.
"T! Are you kidding me that you haven't changed yet? Your pants are downstairs in the laundry basket. Go get them on now!"
7:50 a.m.
I walk into the laundry room. T, at last, is wearing pants, but she's looking sheepish and clutching at her sides funny. I stop her as she tries to sneak past me and pull out the skirt that she was poorly concealing under her shirt. "So, what was the plan? To take your pants off once you get to school?"

She nods.

Seven, folks.

I may just have a meltdown.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh boy! You are in for it! Maybe she will get it all out of her system before she becomes a teenager :)

Suzanne Bjornn White said...

Wow. Smart little thing!

Ginny said...

That stinker! With kids, it's always something isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

lol, can't wait for Aubree to be there soon! Hang in there!

Vicki said...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Wonder who that reminds Gramma Vicki of??
Any guesses??

Shantil said...

This reminds me of conversations with my almost 7-year-old, Josiah. And to think, a boy CAN care that much about what he wears. Uugghh!