Tuesday, August 18, 2009

T's First Day

Back to school. Back to school. Gotta prove to my child that I'm not a fool. She's got her backpack packed, her shoes tied tight. Please bless her, Lord, to not get in a fight. And don't let me cry, or blubber, or wail. Let me escape the school before my heart can fail.
OH, back to school....

So, my baby is in first grade. (Isn't she gorgeous?) Today, she leaves me for her first whole day. I woke up with a sick heart. Just this awful weight following me around. But, after getting an e-mail from a friend urging me to put things in perspective, and realizing that my scowl couldn't have been helping my girl, I decided to pretend as much excitement as T wouldn't suspect as fake.

It helped. I got her to her school room dry-eyed (both of us) and smiling (both of us). Her teacher seems great, which really helped my heart. I hope T holds to my words about how wonderful she is and how great she'll do and that it's easy to make friends if you act like a friend...

Six more hours to go.

You know, I didn't even cry. And then, in the car, I hear this choked sob come from B in the back. Oh, man.



I'll survive this day. If T can, I can.

Right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hun I feel ya, Aubree starts Kindergarten this next week and she's gone from 7:45 until 2:45! I am already missing her and she isn't even in school yet, I just don't get the moms that are jumping for joy to get rid of their kids. I love her being home with me! T's going to have a blast though and she's going to learn so much! I can't wait to see her art projects and stuff that she'll be doing I know she's going to love it!

Vicki said...

I feel your pain.... I may be old but the tender feelings never really leave... She is beautiful. She looks so grown up... I love her hair and that SMILE....
Knock em dead Tay.. and not even know you are!!

Love you guys xoxox

Amber Parkinson said...

I went through the same thing on Monday and it was tough! I had been dreading it the whole week before. I didn't cry, but I sure missed my buddy around the house that day! I actually think Kyle missed her more, though. He and his sister play together so much. To look at the bright side, I will get more one-on-one time with him with Erika at school, something he hasn't really had enough of. Maybe you'll get more of that with B. Anyway, I do think your positive attitude will rub off on her. I couldn't help but be Excited for Erika because of how excited she was about school. Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up?!!